Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Travel, Honor, & Activism


Greetings Prospective Eagles,
FierceEagleDiva has returned to the nest. Let me start off by saying that homecoming week was an ABSOLUTE BLAST. . .a whirlwind of fun and many fond memories. Next Wednesday, I am traveling to Miami with NCCU's honors program to participate in the National Association of African American Honors Programs Conference (NAAAHP). I am honored to be a member of the first debate team NCCU has sent to the NAAAHP. Some of the topics we'll be discussing are: immigration, universal health care, and space exploration beyond the mesosphere. While I'm really excited, I'm also kind of nervous. . .but with the support of my debate team, my fellow Honors peers, and my university, I know we'll be FABULOUS.

Today, I was a discussion leader for a panel discussion about youth culture and community activism. The panelists included: Dasan Ahanu, Aidil Collins, Deydreana Freeman, Antwon Freeman, and Pierce Freelon. Dasan Ahanu is a poet currently working at St. Augustine's College in Raleigh, NC as a guest artist. Aidil Collins works for YES (Youth Empowered Solutions) in their underage drinking and teen tobacco prevention programs. Deydreana and Antwon Freeman created the Golden Belt Historian District, which restores homes in this district of Durham. Pierce Freelon is the creator of Blackademics, an online blog/discussion site where young African Americans can discuss issues that impact our community. It was truly an honor and privilege to lead this discussion, and witness the impact of these activists as they address the needs of their communities. I urge you all to further research their work and programs. . .be inspired and make a difference in your own communities.

This panel discussion occurred in my Freshmen Honors Seminar class. We are currently working on final projects that deal with identifying and addressing issues in our own communities. My program, Flaws & All- Empowering Through Education, addresses the need for female solidarity in the African American community, issues with body image, and personal fitness. Many women's perceptions about themselves are flawed due to the media, and the over glamorization of unrealistic ideals of beauty. This program is targeted to African American girls, grades sixth through eighth, from underprivileged backgrounds. This program may become a reality someday. . .one of my goals in life is to create a non-profit organization.

Well until next time, I'm out. FierceEagleDiva has left the nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment