Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Enrichment


Greetings Prospective Eagles,


FierceEagleDiva has returned to the nest. This week so far has been very busy and thrilling. On Monday, I went to a Centennial Honors Forum. At this forum, two alumni of N.C. Central University, now University archivists, shared the history of Durham, NCCU, and former alumni of the university. They also offered insight about Durham during the era of Black Wall Street and Haytide. Two questions I wish I had of asked were: What was it like during that era for African Americans, and why is this era not prevalent in our society today? Before the forum, I never knew how vital an entity NCCU was to the social, financial, and cultural history of Durham. I also learned a lot about Dr. James E. Shepard, and how greatly he and his family sacrificed to create this great institution. One of my goals next week is to visit the Shepard House on campus; it's literally right beside my dorm (Ruffin Hall). There's so much history in this community waiting for me to find it and explore.


On Tuesday, I went to my first choir rehearsal here. The NCCU choir is called Worship and Praise Inspirational Mass Choir (WPI). I first heard the choir at the Senator Edward Kennedy memorial service last Thursday. Their singing spiritually moved me. . .I knew I had to be part of the choir and I'm glad I've joined it. We have weekly rehearsals on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We have two performances this weekend and I can't wait to perform! I'm tellin' you, this choir is filled with soul, passion, and love.


Tomorrow, I'm going to a meeting on campus about a march/rally to reinstate usury laws by capping interest rates at 10%. The actual rally will occur in Charlotte on October 2. I hope I can be part of this movement that can provide economic relief to many families in need. I'm really serious about getting involved in acts of service in my community and abroad, to improve our society for the prosperity of our futures. Every individual has a personal responsibility to be the change they want to see in the world, and I take that responsibility with pride, joy, and integrity. Well until next time, I'm out. FierceEagleDiva has left the nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment