Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Inspiration



Greetings Prospective Eagles,

FierceEagleDiva has returned to the nest. Last weekend, I returned home for labor Day weekend. I spent three days: exercising (primarily running), driving, reading, doing a little bit of homework, and a WHOLE lot of eating. All in all, I had a BLAST just spending quality time with my family.

I started reading The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffengger (yes, it's also a movie), and I'm absolutely transfixed by it. I'm only in the beginning of the novel, but the main plot of Henry, the protagonist, time traveling through his life and the life of his wife, Claire, is very intriguing. Hopefully when I go home again, I can can rent the DVD (I love Walmart's Redbox movie rental service).

I think my greatest joy this weekend was driving in my little, white Cavalier. After not driving anywhere for three weeks, you start to miss the freedom of driving. There is no greater joy than to take the wheel and zoom away to wherever you want to go. I love to stick one of my arms out the window and feel the cool breeze of the country air.

Today I joined NCCU's Student Activities Board (SAB). This program aides in creating and advertising various events that occur on campus, such as, football games, pre-dawns, convocations, etc. I'm ready to get started working on various committees in SAB. I'm really looking forward to the football game against NCCU's rival, N.C. A&T University. That game is sure to be hype and full of school pride.
I'm currently working on an article for The Campus Echo about NCCU's "Make a Difference Day." It will take place this Saturday, in which NCCU students and volunteers will perform service projects in the surrounding community (i.e., picking up trash, painting, gardening, etc.,). I'm really excited about doing my part to improve the environment and my community through service. When you have been blessed with so much, you have a DUTY to give back all that you've received through service and charity. My family and I have truly been blessed, and I must continue to share those blessings with others. I'll be sure to fill you guys in on the projects we perform in next week's blog (stay tuned).
Today was a very awe-inspiring day for me because of President Obama's address on education, and the swearing in of Justice Sotomayor to the Supreme Court. Students have a personal responsibility to gain an education, not just for themselves and their families, but for the prosperity of our nation. My roommate and I discussed how ridiculous it was that some schools prevented students from watching the address, for fear of President Obama expressing his political ideologies to students. His speech was in no way bias to any race, gender, or political affiliation. This speech was meant to inspire all students across the nation and internationally to strive for academic excellence. . .that message I will carry with me not only this year, but for the rest of my educational career.
Well until next time, I'm out! FierceEagleDiva has left the nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment