Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Adjusting




Greetings Prospective Eagles,

FierceEagleDiva has returned to the nest. Since we last talked, I have been working on an article for The Campus Echo about N.C. Central University being ranked 10th out of 80 national HBCUs by the U.S. News & World Report. Of the top 10 schools, we were the only public institution. In North Carolina, we are the #1 HBCU! It's such a huge accomplishment for our school, especially since this is NCCU's Cenntennial year.

Tomorrow I'm going to get an upperclassmen mentor to further aide me in trasitioning to college life. As fun as college is, sometimes I get overwhelmed with trying to fit in with my peers and embracing all the information that is crucial to my academic success. There are times when I'm doing homework in my dorm, that I miss watching Family Guy and The Boondocks with my brother. Sometimes I reminesce about how much fun my summer was with my friends back home. As much as I miss my friends and my family, I know other freshmen are experiencing the same feelings I am.
This weekend is labor day weekend, so I'm headed back to "Z" town (i.e., Zebulon). I can't wait to go to church and see people I haven't seen in what feels like ages. We're gonna' have a cookout this weekend and I know I'm gonna' throw down on some hot dogs, shrimps, hoagies, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, etc., . . . I could go on for days. As much as I miss home, I love this campus and the rich history that makes it so prestigious.

Last week, the Honors program held a welcome back/kick off dinner. My peers and I recieved so much information about future opprotunities for academic enrichment, such as, studying internationally and nationally. This weekend I spent alot of time pondering about where I'd like to study abroad if I'm blessed with the opportunity. I've pretty much narrowed it down to England and Australia.
England is appealing to me because it's where Nnamdi, my cousin, lives. I have a very close connection to him and I haven't seen him since I was nine. When I was nine, I visited Nigeria to meet my father's side of the family. That trip showed me how much I take simple necessities for granted. I learned to be even more gracious and appreciative for what I do have. London is such a thriving city that has so much history to share. It'd be a great place to further my studies in mass communications and theatre management. I'd love to visit Buckingham Palace and see musicals on the West End.

I'd like to visit Australia because of its rich history and cultural centers. I've always had an interest in anthropology and I'm fascinated by the Aboriginese culture. I love the varied landscapes of Australia. It'd be an awesome experience to stand atop the Sydney Harbor or to see a performance at the Sydney Opera House. I'm always excited to go to the beach! It'd be great to scuba dive along the Great Barrier Reef and maybe learn to surf?

On a completely different wavelength, on Monday, I went to a screening of the movie, Moonwalker, to commemorate Michael Jackson's 51st birthday. Moonwalker chronicled the music videos he made for his Bad album. I still can't believe the world has lost one of it's best entertainers, if not the best. It was fun to just chill with snacks and be transfixed into another dimension by the King of Pop.

No matter where I may get the opportunity to travel and explore, I know it would be a blessing to further enrich my educational process through international studies. Who knows what the future has planned for me. . .it's endless and bountiful though.
Until next time, I'm out! FierceEagleDiva has left the nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment