Thursday, September 17, 2009

Making a Difference Through Service


Greetings Prospective Eagles,


FierceEagleDiva has returned to the nest. Last weekend, I participated in N.C. Central University's first "Make a Difference Day." Besides the incentive of 15 hours of community service credit, I got to get involved in my new community with my peers. We picked up litter off the road and we planted grass seeds. Some of the dignitaries that came to NCCU were Mayor Bill Bell and N.C. Representative Larry Hall. I served my community dually as a volunteer and as a reporter for The Campus Echo. When I wasn't picking up trash, I was taking pictures and interviewing volunteers. My article about "Make a Difference Day" was published on The Campus Echo website today, http://www.campusecho.com/. This is my third published article!


Last Friday, I was officially accepted into NCCU's Global Studies program. I want to use this concentration to study International Relations/ Peace and Conflict. Tomorrow, I'm going to meet with my advisor to choose some courses for the spring semester and start constructing my global studies pathway. I'm so excited to start studying in this concentration!


Yesterday, I went to a forum called, "U.S. Constitution in the Age of Obama: Conversations Across Generations." The forum was about the relevance of the Constitution during the current presidency of Obama. The seasoned scholars/attorneys that expressed their legal insights, were: Julius Chambers (former NCCU chancellor), Anita Earls (Attorney for the Southern Coalition for Social Justice), and Professor Irving Joyner (professsor at NCCU Law School). The other panelists included a political science professor, and some of NCCU's undergraduate and law students. Some of the topics they discussed were: different interpretations of the Constitution, whether there is still a need for affirmative action, and redistricting in terms of electing minority public officials. It was truly a treat to witness and analyze the opinions of such prestigious scholars and aspiring scholars.


I'm so proud to be a student at NCCU because it offers so many programs to become even more enlightened about society. Tonight, I'm going to a tribute service for Senator Edward Kennedy. This program will recognize and pay homage to his service in the government and society. These programs are really starting to make me think about how I impact society, and how these acts are positively changing my community. I still need to be more active in inspiring teens to not only be involved in the national political arena, but also local/regional political affairs. The service we do now in our youth will only contribute to the prosperity of our lives and our nation when we are adults. . .we are truly the future. Well until next time, I'm out! FierceEagleDiva has left the nest.




2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your third published article. I think it's so cool that you're working for the student newspaper. I worked for my school's paper my freshman year too and made some of my best friends there. Keep on connecting to people in your community!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks. I truly appreciate your advice ;)

    ReplyDelete