Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Enlightened
















Greetings Prospective Eagles,

FierceEagleDiva has returned to the nest. This week has been a whirlwind of intellectual enlightenment for me. I just had lunch with a friend and she kept chuckling about how much I used the word "enlightened" in our conversation. Well, "enlightened" is the only word I can say to explain how enriching this week has been for me.
On Monday, I attended my first book club meeting at NCCU. We discussed Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man, by Steve Harvey. In this novel, Harvey offers information about the male psyche pertaining to relationships. We had a ball discussing/debating the various topics of this novel, such as: cheating, female/male relationship standards and needs, and honesty. This novel is definitely a must read for all girls to find some understanding about the simple at yet intricate psyche of males. I also think that males should read this to get insight about the needs and concerns of women in relationships.
On Tuesday, I was blessed with the opportunity, along with some of my peers from the Honors program, to have a luncheon with Dr. Patricia Russell-McCloud. At the luncheon, we got to ask her questions about her novel, A is for Attitude. That night, she did a school-wide lyceum. Let me just say that she brought the house down! Between the luncheon and the lyceum, I feel so spiritually, intellectually, and emotionally enriched. The premise behind her lyceum speech was to express the power and importance of education in our highly technological and internationally competitive society. Some statements she made in her novel, at the luncheon, and at the lyceum that touched me most (her wisdom and advice is profound) were:
1. "When life gets hard, work harder"
2. "The future started yesterday, and you're already running late"
3. "Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worth while"
4. "It's better to have an education and not need it, than to need an education and not have one"
Dr. Russell-McCloud was an attorney, and she is now an internationally acclaimed author and orator. Her presence yesterday inspired and empowered me in my future of endless possibilities. I would recommend A is for Attitude for everyone, because "your attitude affects your altitude" in life. I will NEVER forget the opportunity and blessing I had yesterday in speaking and meeting with Dr. Russell-McCloud. Her advice will live with me for the rest of my life.
Tonight, I'm going to a lecture featuring Mr. Casey Lartigue, Jr. This lecture will discuss whether the government is a friend or foe of minorities. I am sure that this lecture will even further enlighten and enrich my mind, heart, and soul. Well until next time, I'm out. FierceEagleDiva has left the nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment